Friday, February 1, 2008

I'm Learnding!

I stole the title of this post from Ralph Wiggum, possibly my favorite Simpsons side character.
I have been so proud of myself lately.
I managed to diagnose and fix a problem my car was having without so much as consulting the Internet for help. Yeah!
Then a couple of days ago I installed an external hard-drive. When I bought this computer I remember thinking "80 gigs? Wow I can't possibly fill up an 80 gig hard-drive!"
Then the music downloading started, then I started ripping copies of nearly every CD I could get my hands on from the library, friends, etc...and BAM! I have 1% free space.
So before Christmas I bought a 250 gig hard drive on sale...I bought it Christmas eve so it was super cheap.
Now those of you with access to a calendar might have noticed that there is more than a month between the purchase of said hard-drive and installation.
I tried installing it. It didn't work. I called the tech line. The very helpful man in India asked me all kinds of interesting questions that got exponentially more indechiperable until I was reduced to answering questions he hadn't asked.
Tech guy:"Is it a 32 bit or 64 bit?"
Me: "umm...it's facing west?"
He finally deduced that there was something wrong with Windows Installer and cheerfully informed me that he couldn't help me with Windows software. Frankly he seemed pretty freakin' happy about the fact that he couldn't help me at all.
He asked if I had any other questions.
I said, "Yes, how is the weather in India today"
"I'm afraid I'm not allowed tell you that"
"is it hot? I bet it's hot."
"Sorry sir, I am not allowed to tell you that. Is there anything else I can help you with.?"
"Nope, I just wanted to get this hard-drive installed and find out what the weather in India is like and since you can't help me with either I guess we are all done here."
So there it sat mocking me for more than a month.
Then after I fixed my car I decided I was a capable adult and I sat down and did a little research and I fixed the Windows Installer thing myself.
I Rule!
Then tonight I installed tracking software on my blog. (thanks Sara Kay whoever you are!)
So now I can track how many times a day my one reader checks my blog. Hi Christina!
Give it up for my sistah, big up, chigga what, what! (the roof has now been raised)
The thing is, doing those 2 computer related things myself in one week...I felt like one of those hackers you see in the movies.
Ok maybe not, but here's the thing, my computer skills normally rate just above one of those people who has to have their kid log onto their email for them.
Of course I still can't figure out how to put a Youtube link in the middle of a post or how to make an archive of my favorite posts off to the right there ->
but still...

I'm on a roll. I have to go now. I'm going to take apart a microwave or something.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm messing with your statistics, post something new!

Laurie said...

Hi Michael!
I just love getting guys I can't understand from India when I need customer service too! And they keep repeating themselves that they would love to help you today..
OK, thanks, speak English clearly and that would help the most!
Take care, hope you are doing good.
Laurie

michael said...

hey Laurie. it's been a while, glad to see you're still reading.