Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Stop me if you've heard this one before

I have this fear that I will think of a funny story and write about it and then someone will point out that I have written about it before.
This is not an unfounded fear.
I got my ability for story telling from my father. If you spend any amount of time with him you will inevitably hear a story for a 2ND...or 32ND time. I think part of why my dad has been so accepting of my brother in law is that he views him as a fresh audience. Chris has not heard the story of Chrissy yelling "I think I'm going to throw up!" in the restaurant a dozen times....well maybe he has by now but you get my point.
I have to say in all honesty it doesn't bother me too much because they are usually funny. I liken it to coming across an old Seinfeld re-run on TV. You know all the punchlines but you can still appreciate the quality of the humor even if the punchlines aren't fresh.
My stepmother on the other hand is driven to distraction by this.
They actually have a routine: he will start to tell a story and she will interrupt and say you've already told him this one...and then he proceeds to tell the story.
I don't know what the solution is...I have a great ability to find the humor in a situation and I am observant and consequently I have a lot of funny stories...but I don't want to bore people writing the same stories over and over...of course that presumes that anybody would keep reading my blog frequently enough or long enough for them to actually catch me repeating myself...you know what? It may not be a problem after all.

Christina? Just please just send me an email if it happens, don't embarrass me in the comments section, OK?

1 comment:

Christina said...

Chris and I have been married almost 8yrs--he had heard his fair share of funny Chrissy and Michael stories. His favorite story to tell Chris is how I got stuck on the sandbar with Donna Tartiff. Now that is a good story