Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over the Hills

I just spent 5 minutes staring at a vending machine.
If that doesn't sound like a long time stop and just stare at this line for five minutes.

I was craving salt so I walked over to the vending machine to get some chips...and they had the Big Texas.

Do you know the Big Texas?

It's a Cinnamon roll they sell in machines that Turbo used to love.

His mom was living in Va. It was kind of a hard time being a single dad and selling cars for a living ....but I look back on it as one of the happiest times of my life.

Turbo and I had so much fun. This was the hey-day of the super heroes Wind and Storm.

Not every day, but damn nearly, we would be running late.

I would get up on time and something would conspire to hold us up.

Turbo would be hard to wake or I would be daydreaming in the shower or I would forget to iron my clothes the night before...2 or 3 days a week.

I wouldn't have time to make Turbo breakfast and he would say " Can I get a Big Texas?" and I'd say "where's my wallet?" which was code for "yeah, but I don't want you to."

And he'd put milk in a travel mug and have milk and a Big Texas for breakfast in the car.
I always felt kind of guilty...but looking back? He probably has fond memories of us running around those mornings me yelling at him good naturedly to get his ass in gear and him eating the Big Texas on the way to school.

I know I do.



This is a picture of Turbo during that time. He hated the school uniform...yet insisted on wearing the shirt buttoned to the top.

Isn't he looking all James Spader?






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh mercy...the james spader likeness is scary.

I personally have never had Big Texas...will I die with a void in my soul?

michael said...

The funny thing is he kind of has that deadpan, droll sort of delivery that Spader uses in some roles.

Will you die with a void in your soul?
Most likely...if stale, ,overpriced, fake food is what your immortal soul needs

Christina said...

So the answer is no then