Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Hack Blogger Alert!!

I don't normally go to blogs written by talking heads such as Bill O'Reily or Tucker Carlson. For the most part they are boring and not very well written.
I happened to tune into the last 5 minutes of Greta Van Susteren on Fox Noise. She was plugging her blog and going on about what a wacky unexpected adventure it is to go there and how you can "expect the unexpected."
I know you are going to be shocked when I say this....But I was a little skeptical.

So I went to her blog.
Oh wow.
I underestimated how badly these things can go.
First, do not go there. If you go there you will blame me for your IQ dropping a few points. I bear no responsibility.
Ok I think I will begin with the punctuation. It appears as if Fox gets it's exclamation points and question marks in bulk at Costco and then tells their employees to use them as freely as they see fit.
So you get treated to sentences like this!!! Would that get on your nerves?? I know the 5 minutes I SPENT there were unpleasant for me!! Oh, I forgot to mention, SHE also utilizes random all caps for no clear REASON!!!
I know I use my own sort of stylized syntax and manner of formatting my blog so technically I can't really talk about others choices because my blog is written in a non-standard fashion as well.
I try to write things in my own voice ....and then I go back and delete %60 of the F-Bombs.
But this woman just flat out sucks. If you didn't know better you would think this is the blog of a 14 year old girl with an interest in news. Don't believe me?
Read this.
Seriously? These are the musings of a national newscaster?
The articles or essays...most of the actual writing comes from the AP or other sources so I decided to dig around to find some writing by Greta herself....I won't put you through the whole piece...but here's an excerpt. She's talking about McGovern V. Nixon back in 1972. Her point ( I think) was that Mcgoverns running mate gave a speech at her college and whipped the crowd into a frenzy.Tell me what you think:

The result? Yes….President Nixon clobbered Senator McGovern in the general election
Why? positioning yourself as an extremes can be great for primaries…it is appealing to “the base” who you need to nominate you…but when push comes to shove, when the general election happens, the moderates have a great voice. If the Democrats want to win, they have to keep their eyes on the moderates no matter who their candidate it….likewise, the Republicans need to keep their eyes on the moderates.

WTF? Typos, tortured syntax, fuzzy/faulty logic...

If nothing else, this makes me feel better about my little blog. I think for the most part you know what the hell I'm talking about and sometimes I may say it in a stylish, funny way.

No comments: