Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I am not about to Kick off a nature Vs. nuture debate

I have a very dry, sarcastic sense of humor. I believe I was born with it and then I have honed and refined it over the years.
I look to this story as proof that I was born with it.

My Aunt Sissy ( whose name is actually Claudia, which my sister and I didn't know for quite a long time and were completely shocked when we were told that we were going to Aunt Claudia's. "What?! We don't have an Aunt Claudia!")
She had a husband, Rob. Uncle Rob was stupid. One time he bought a gold colored Plymouth Duster. He excitedly showed my dad his cool new car. Then when we went back to visit a few weeks later? He excitedly asked to show my dad his new gold Plymouth Duster. After several minutes of arguing that he had already seen the car, my dad went out to see the car ...there sat another gold Plymouth duster...this one with the super sporty white vinyl hard top.
So clearly Rob was stupid.
Anyway, I was 5 years old and we were getting ready to go over to Aunt Sissy's house and my dad sat me down and had a talk with me.
"Don't make fun of your Uncle Rob, it just upsets your Aunt Claudia."
"ok, I'll try Dad."
"I'm serious, if you make any jokes at Uncle Rob's expense I'll beat your butt." He would always say that "I'll beat your butt" but it never happened.
"Ok Dad, I'll try to not make fun of him."
So we go over to Aunt Sissy's and Rob starts in on my dad right away:
-Hey Rex have you heard any good jokes lately, do you know any jokes ...
-No Rob I haven't heard any good jokes, no I don't know any jokes...
then Rob say the immortal setup line:
" Come on, don't you know any good Pollack jokes?"
And I Say:
"No Rob, You're the Only Good Pollack Joke We Know"
BAM!
Brutal. You just got dropped by a 5 year old.
Like a sniper, one shot one kill.
I have thought about it and 33 years later I can't think of a funnier retort to "don't you know any good pollack jokes?"

No comments: