Sunday, February 24, 2008

The art of the backhanded compliment

I don't normally ask for reader responses ...mostly because I don't get many responses.
Lets be frank, I know there are people reading, but I only know one actual person who reads this...
Anyway.

Have you ever gotten a backhanded compliment?
I'm thinking something along the lines of:
" you don't sweat much for a fat girl"

Recently when somebody found out I was in my late thirties they said "Wow, I had you figured for hard 20's"

You see what happened there? They thought I was somebody that was 24 but looked 29. They thought I was a hard livin' rough around the edges 24 year old.
Uh....Thanks?
but really I'm a 38 that looks 29...it's a compliment...but not...
what do you make of that, how are you supposed to feel?
Has this ever happened to you?

2 comments:

Cameron said...

I get the same thing. People assume I'm younger than I am. And there's a way to tell people they look younger and have it be a compliment, but often I get "I thought you were younger, [and not in a good way.]" Hard to explain.

Incidentally, thanks for linking, and no, it's not just cool, it's awesome. Now to explore I'm just saying...

michael said...

I've been getting it my whole life...but that has to be the worst way possible to have said that