Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I don't know how she will feel about this...

I was recently talking with a friend on the phone and she said I need to get her a shop vac for mothers day. I can't imagine what a single woman would do with a shop vac...
(I can imagine what a single man would do with a shop vac, and while not technically illegal it is wrong fellas)
she said she needs it to vacuum up the leaves on her patio so she isn't "sweeping up leaves like an idiot in the wind"
I found that an interesting turn of phrase: Like an idiot in the wind.
When I pointed it out to her she amended to say "sweeping leaves in the wind, like an idiot"
which had more clarity but was less evocative.
So, I have appropriated and added to my lexicon a new phrase.
Shall I use it in a sentence for you?
George Bush is staying the course in Iraq, like an idiot in the wind.

2 comments:

Ann Onymous said...

It was funny...almost as funny reading it as when I nearly peed my pants when you pointed out that you'd never heard the expression, "like an idiot in the wind". I love stories about us by the way. Lets keep it that way.

Unknown said...

And I was just listening Bob Dylan's idiot Wind :|
Yet, the phrase is rightly used for Bush.

I enjoyed the story of the making of a phrase.

When will Bush read it....