Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Today I am Japanese!


Turbo has multiple grandmas.
Before he was born we asked all the grandmas what they wanted for their name. One picked Grandma Gee...she was called Gee by my sister when she was little so it seemed fitting. Fine.
One picked Gramma Bunny...because she likes bunnies and collects bunnies...
we actually had a little issue with this one. "Bunny" is not the kind of name you can give yourself. If the little ones happen to notice you have a shitload of bunnies laying about fine...but you can't pick it.
So I told "Gramma Bunny"
(where is the sarcasm button?!...I'm still getting used to my new laptop.)
That she needs to think of something else.
Then a funny thing happened. My Ex started sarcastically referring to her as Gramma Bunny.
IE, the phone rings she looks at caller ID and says, "you get it, it's Gramma Bunny"
(where the hell is that sarcasm button?!)
So it stuck.
You won this round Gramma Bunny.
Then My ex's mom chose Nana.
She would. Boring, predictable, stupid.
Perfect.
(look, nobody likes her,OK? I'm not being mean)
So...fast forward 6 years. Nana is coming out to visit. We live in this tiny little house in Flagstaff that was built around the same time as the university. It has hard-wood floors that if you drop a marble in the dining room it rolls all the way to the front door. It is a funky little abode.
But Nana has to put a nice sheen on everything so she spends a lot of her visit wandering our cottage saying "cozy, cozy, cozy"
Because it would not be nice to say..."man this crib is Tiny!"
We are getting ready to go see the Grand Canyon and she says "Well, you're not a real American until you've gone to see the Grand Canyon"
Because she cannot help but filth the air with platitudes.
And a friend of ours says, " No you're not a real Japanese until you've seen the Grand Canyon"
(did you know that the Grand Canyon is absolutely Lousy with Japanese?)

So. We arrive at Le Canyon Grande Merde!
and Turbo steps out of the vehicle, stretches a bit and then boldly, loudly, proudly declares, with arms thrown wide in dramatic declaration:

TODAY I AM JAPANESE!
NOW, I AM REALLY JAPANESE TODAY!!


Cozy, cozy, cozy.

3 comments:

Christina said...

I love to bust out "cozy cozy cozy" whenever I can.

I am amazed at your memory and the nuance of detail. I can remember stuff, but not as vivid as you.

Don't get me wrong, I have a kickass memory. I ran into a woman I had met once the other day and I totally remember her husbands name--she was shocked. But it isn't as good as your's

michael said...

Yet when I left the house this morning I couldn't remember where I put my keys so I had to use my spare set. Go figure.

Tim said...

You find Japanese tourists everywhere, but the irony of seeing them crowded onto the Pont Japonaise was too funny. http://without-warning.blogspot.com/2006/10/one-morning-we-got-up-early-and-drove.html