Friday, March 7, 2008

The Governor of Montana rules!

He doesn't just rule the state of Montana...he kicks ass.
I was listening to an interview he did on NPR. The reason they were talking to him is that the federal government is requiring that states send out a letter promising that once the Fed comes up with guidelines for a national ID card, whatever the requirements are, the states will abide by them.
Get it?
We the federal government are going to enact a program that will cost the states money and we will come up with some guidelines...later...like 7 or 8 years...but you have to agree to the terms now.
Plus?
The way you get this card?
Show up at your local DMV with a birth certificate and get the card....but is there a standardized birth certificate?
No.
Give me a few hours and a decent printer and I'll make you a birth certificate.
So Gov. Schweitzer told the fed to go F_ themselves.
In the interview he basically says that the fed comes up with hairbrained schemes all the time and usually Montana just ignores them and then if it comes to a head they tell the fed to go to hell.
Rock on.
The Montana legislature passed a bill that said 'we will not abide by these rules'. It passed by a 151-o vote.
Might I just inject, this is one of my biggest pet peeves about the political right.
When it will save them money they say, "states rights! keep the fed out!"
But, when it comes to issues the Right is obsessed with?
IE: Abortion, weed, death with dignity, gay marriage?
Well, all of a sudden the fed has something to say. Suddenly the states can't supersede the federal government.
All of a sudden when it comes time to infringe on our rights: wire tap, ID cards?
Now the fed is all up in our business.
So The Governor ain't havin' it.
The fed basically said if the deadline passes and the state hasn't sent the letter it's the same as if the Montana citizen is showing up without an ID.
The best part of the interview?
The interviewer basically says, 'what happens when the deadline passes and a person with a Montana ID tries to board a plane'?
His response?
" They board the plane. Blah blah blah deadline"
I assure you, he said "Blah blah blah deadline"
The federal government says some shit, and he says, "Blah blah blah"

The Governor of Montana fucking rocks.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=87991791

5 comments:

Christina said...

so are you packing up and moving to Montana? I hear it is pretty up there.

michael said...

I don't pick my state by how cool the Governor is...I go by how cute.

Anonymous said...

yeah me to, that is why I live in Illinois, it is just so cute here.

michael said...

no...I mean I go for the state with the cutest governor

Laurie said...

Thats why I live in California (saying California with an Austrian accent)