Saturday, January 12, 2008

Selling cars for fun and profit

I got into selling cars because there was nothing else to do in Flagstaff to keep your head above water. It's a small town with a mostly service economy.
So unless you are qualified to work at the university or the hospital? You're boned.
I won't get into the mixed emotions of making profit off of nice people.
(or the thrill of absolutely sticking it to some dickhead)
I will say I can look you in the eye and say I have never ripped anyone off.

It's the very embodiment of the dichotomy principle. It is hot and cold, black and white, good and evil.
If you don't sell a car you make no money. Do you know what it's like to work a 12 hour shift and not make a single penny?
Conversely? Do you know what it's like to spend 90 minutes with a very nice older couple and make $1,200?
(wait...that doesn't sound right. I should add "with your clothes on" or some such disclaimer)
It can be a lot of fun. It can also be the most stressful stupid job of your life.

I have been thinking about a few funny things that happened just this week.
(I know I said there is a dichotomy, so the astute ones among us might be wondering about the not so funny things. I am not about to start complaining. I have tried to make the point of this blog to run a highlighter over what is funny about my life. I doubt anybody wants to read about what is pissing me off about life...unless I have a funny take on it.)

So. Just a few things that cracked me up this week?

First, for those that don't yet know? I am an observant SOB. I eaves drop and watch and in general try to know everything about everything that is going on around me.

So a few things I overheard this week:

Customer to salesman: I want you to know, I am serious about looking at cars. I am not serious about buying a car.

Salesman to a customer looking at a Volkswagen Passat (which is actually a very nice car) :
Yes the Germans are known for their coachwork; fit and finish...
(inaudible comment from customer)
...umm, No, it's leatherette.

This next aside I need to preface with a little education about the car business.
No matter what, every time you come into the managers office to ask do we have car XYZ you will have a manager yell at you "have you walked the lot?!"
Meaning "have you actually gone out and looked for yourself if we have that car?"
and the annoying thing is, knowing you are going to get yelled at? You have walked the lot in the hope that you can find the car yourself and avoid going into the damn office to get "have you walked the lot?!" yelled at you.
SO. We get told what our new pathetic benefits are.
I was out on the lot talking with Shane. I told him that I miss how good the benefits are at a bank.
I said, "when I started here I asked if we have a 401K and Robert said, "have you walked the lot!?"

(let me know if any of these are funny outside of the lot because these are all killers on premises)

No comments: