Friday, September 21, 2007

Public "Art"

There is a piece of "artwork" on the median about a block from the library. I see this thing at least once a week and it bugs the shit out of me.
It's kind of hard to describe abstract sculpture.... but I'll give it a shot.
It's about 9 feet tall and carved out of a kind of flannel gray colored granite.
(not an interesting shade of rock in the slightest I assure you.It's not even polished.)
Just picture one half of the yin/yang symbol, that's it's shape.
Carved into it are a star and some other random shape kind of like a crescent, but they have no relation to each other.
It's not particularly interesting in any way.
But here is the kicker, it has 3 little jets of water squirting onto the sculpture.
It doesn't make an interesting pattern, doesn't bring an interesting color out of the rock and it doesn't run down the face of the sculpture in an interesting way. It's just water squirting onto a slab. It's as interesting as watching your neighbor hose down his driveway.
As far as I can tell there is no reason whatsoever to have water on this thing.
The sculpture is lame and the water is superfluous.
I imagine the water wasn't part of the original plan. The guy makes this piece and the "art committee" from the city counsel shows up to check it out.

bureaucrat 1: hmm I like it, I mean it's sure not going to offend anyone.
B2: that's true, I look at this and I have no feelings at all!
B1: except...
artist: except what? You told me you wanted something that would pass for art yet create no emotion in people as they looked at it.
B2: oh you nailed that.
B1: right....but we were thinking there might be some kind of ...I don't know, water? everybody likes water, right?
A: oh..well sure I could do water...but it would cost more...
B1: oh, don't worry about the price, you can double it if you want.
B2: hell triple it for all we care! Polls show people want inoffensive art all over the city, especially stuff with water.
A: Water...wow, that can quadruple the price sometimes.....give me a couple of weeks guys.

"Artist" goes that day to Home Depot. He buys 8 feet of copper pipe and a pump and installs a few jets of water.
Artist spends the next 2 weeks smoking pot.

B1: awesome! it's got water!....and it shoots at the sculpture in a completely inoffensive way. I have no feeling at all when I look at this!
B2: wow....I am speechless...it's like looking at a blank piece of paper...with water!
A: look..this thing went a little over budget....It's actually 5 times what I originally bid for this job?
B1: whatever dude, the stupid taxpayers are paying for this crap.
B2: Hey, by the way, do you know anybody that could make a couple of more lanes on the freeway?

Why oh why is this fucking piece of shit blighting my median? I would rather have a homeless guy with an interesting sign bugging me for change.

There is a guy in Austin that hangs out by the on-ramp and he has a variety of signs....my favorites?
" Ninjas killed my family...need money for Karate lessons"
or
"one dollar away from making my Porsche payment"

I really would rather have that guy on the median than the piece of crap -flat gray granite -random -uninteresting shaped- no reason for the water to be shooting on it- sculpture.

If somebody were to tell me that the point of the sculpture was to piss off people that actually like art ...I might actually respect that....that's punk rock.

No comments: