Friday, July 20, 2007

Yes, there ARE stupid questions

The trainer for my class keeps saying that if you have a question go ahead and ask because there are probably 4 other people wondering the same thing.Sure.
Except there is a guy in our class....lets call him Mr Dumas...this man has an uncanny ability to ask the question nobody is wondering.
Ever.
In fact his ability is so diabolical that even though I try to, I can't possibly predict what assinine question he is going to ask.
I play a game : the second Mr. Dumas indicates he is going to ask a question I try to guess what the most obvious question regarding the material at hand would be. He bests me at every turn. I was going to make up something exceedingly stupid to illustrate my point comedically. Fortunately Mr Dumas has done my work for me. Today he asked how the marital status of 'seperated ' is different than 'divorced' Once that was defined he then followed up with "so if they say 'seperated' we should mark down 'single' on the application?"no, mark them as 'seperated'"so when would you mark them as single then?"
You can see how there would be no beating this man. However Mr. Dumas does have one redeeming quality. He has an inflection disorder. When asked to read aloud Mr. Dumas sounds as if he doesn't comprehend a single word of what he is reading and therefore assigns random inflection to his words. He sounds like that computer program that says out loud whatever you type but the voice seems to rise and fall on random syllables. It goes like this:
"communicate TO THE customer THE combined NATURE and information regarding their asset AND HOW their equity position...."
by this point I am stiffling laughter across my upper palate and through my nose. One other person in our class has noticed the robotronic nature of his reading style. God forbid I make eye contact with this person because then I start to lose it.
This brings up another issue. Mr Dumas is making me look like the kind of maniac who laughs at completely innapropriate times.
I don't want these people thinking I'm the kind of person who would laugh hysterically if for example you were to tell me the Vice President shot his best pal in the face with a shotgun. ( I am that kind of guy but they don't need to know that)
I would like Mr. Dumas a little more if we could make 2 new class rules.1) whenever there is reading to be done Mr. Dumas is our class representative.2) no more asking questions such as "so if the sun is out it's daytime?

No comments: