Tuesday, October 2, 2007

the first time I met the Bickersons

My sister told me that her future in laws were, in some circles, referred to as the Bickersons.
I thought "how bad could they be.."
My sister was getting married at the Broadmoore, a ritzy hotel here in the Springs.
We were sitting in the lobby and a group of people were all meeting up and then going out to dinner.
A few of us ordered a drink. I asked for "Makers and soda" which in most upscale places is understood to mean Makers Mark Bourbon and soda water.
I got a Makers and coke which is way too sweet.
I sent it back in the nicest way possible.
then the bickering started.
"why did you send that back I thought that's what you ordered?"
"I.."
that's the entirety of my contribution to the rest of this conversation.
"No he ordered it with soda water, she brought out a Bourbon and coke he wanted a Bourbon and water"
"but he said "soda" that means soda pop, coke"
"no it means soda water. Coke means coke"
"no coke means soda pop"
"what?!"
"yeah. in most places you say 'I'm gonna get a coke' that just means you're getting a pop, any kind"
"where did you hear that?"
"I didn't hear it anywhere I know it"
"how can you know something without having heard it at least somewhere?"
"it's just knowledge. some stuff you just know."
"how, mind reading? No. someone had to say it"

you get the picture.

No comments: